Monday, November 29, 2010

My Not Cool Black Friday Experience at Walmart

Last year, I went Black Friday shopping at the Walmart located in Ithaca, NY.  It was really fun and everything went great.  It was the first time that I had been out before 10am on Black Friday.  The store was well organized, the staff was very great and helpful, and so forth.

So I decided to go Black Friday shopping again.  A new SuperCenter opened in Cortland, NY (bigger than the Ithaca store), so we decided to head there.  BIG MISTAKE!

First, the store was VERY unorganized.  If you asked employees where to go for a certain item, they sent you in the wrong direction!  I would have much rather preferred for them to say “I don’t know” then completely send you in the opposite direction.  This just wasn’t one employee either – at least 10 directed me the wrong way.

Second, I was after the $7 and $10 video games (among other things).  These video games were supposed to go on sale at 12:01am.  They weren’t on the sales floor.  In fact, when asked a manager was all “they don’t go on sale until 5am.”  That was wrong.  So then of course they rushed to get the video games out.

Third, it was hectic.  I never experienced pushing and shoving before, but that was going on.  I also watched a lady confront another person who tried to take items from her cart.  I heard this happens a lot on Black Friday, but my experience last year was so pleasant.

Finally, when I go to checkout I had a great cashier; very quick and friendly.  However, it wasn’t until I got home that I realized that my coupon that wouldn’t scan and was hand entered into the computer ($3 off Bendaroos) actually ended up costing me $3.  It was added in some unknown department instead of being credited as a coupon.

I can’t even describe how disappointed I was in my local Walmart.  I will either return to the Walmart in Ithaca next year or just shop from home online instead.

No comments: